Monday, June 16, 2014

Planning for English Learners

Next semester, I plan to teach a unit about hobbies and activities to university students in Korea who have a basic understanding of English. Additionally, the ability levels of the students can vary widely depending on whether or not they have studies abroad or at private language academies near their high schools, called hogwon. If I were to focus on a sampling of the class, four students with the most disparate sets of English awareness, I would have to design class based on a few key principles so that A) I wouldn't make it too difficult for the basic level students and B) I wouldn't bore the more accomplished students. According to Six Key Strategies for English Language Learners I should focus on vocabulary, guided interaction, authentic assessment, context, modeling, and visual stimulation. After having used these methods for years, I completely agree with that list of recommendations. There is an old adage used in the news industry which states, "Tell them what you're gonna tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you told them." I think that idea is applicable here, but it includes modeling, which is a key additional step: show them what you are telling them. Of course, they should then practice the model before creating their own. Larry Ferlazzo also points out that speaking clearly and avoiding a lecture-style of teaching is essential to keeping the attention of ELLs and that is why I often utilize powerpoint and Prezis in my class. My own methodology is to quickly gauge the levels of the students by asking basic yes/no questions and then building vocabulary based on their responses. I would also add that a little knowledge of the students' native language can be very helpful if they are totally stuck on a word and the teacher can translate it on the fly, as long as translation does not become the primary method of explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment